Friday, October 10, 2008

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork & Chile Verde

I have been on a kick cooking with pork. Here are 2 Slow cooker recipes that I love:

I have tried this recipe a few times. I have added BBQ sauce at the end before but I prefer the apricot preserves so much more. This makes an easy fabulous Sunday dinner.

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

2 lb. pork butt roast
1 (14 oz.) Can beef broth
1 small jar of Apricot preserves

Place pork roast in the crockpot and pour the beef broth on top. Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hrs or low for 8-10, or until the meat is fork tender. I always say the slower the better. Carefully remove the roast to a cutting board and shred the meat with two forks. Put the shredded meat back in the slowcooker and add the jar of apricot preserves and stir. Cook for an additional 1/2 hr. Serve with rolls to make into sandwiches.


Slow Cooked Chile Verde

3 pounds cubed pork stew meat
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large yellow onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
ground pepper, to taste
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
8 cups chicken broth
1- 14 oz Can green enchilada sauce
2 poblano chile peppers, seeded & chopped
1 jalapeno peppers, seeded & chopped
1 yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped
1-1/2 pounds fresh tomatillos, husks removed
1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

In a large stock pot, over high heat, sear the pork in the vegetable oil until golden brown. Remove the pork from the pot, reserve 2 tablespoons oil in the pan, and cook the chopped onion and garlic, seasoned with salt and pepper, in the reserved oil until onions are tender. Season with cumin. Then dump the pork, onion mixture, chicken stock, green enchilada sauce, poblanos, jalapenos, and bell peppers in the crockpot. Puree the tomatillos and cilantro in a blender, and add them to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hrs or high for 4-6.

Right before serving I added a little cornstarch water mixture to thicken the verde. Serve with mexican rice, tortillas and refried beans. I like making a smothered burrito with the refried beans and cheese and smothering the burrito with the chile verde. Good stuff!

1 comment:

Nicole Marsh said...

Those sound really good!