Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Locks on Doors and keeping the Keys

Lately Whitney has been on a kick of locking a door and then shutting it behind her. Which normally isn't a problem when she locks the bathroom door because we can stick a nail in the little hole and it unlocks easily. In our house we have quite a few doors with locks that take a key to unlock it. The previous owners did foster care and Foster Care requires you to lock up certain doors so that the children can't get into harmful things, and I am guessing the parents bedroom.

Whitney and Olivia were playing upstairs and Whitney came down but Olivia hadn't. I asked Whitney where Olivia was and she said "in your room". I asked her to get her and Whitney replied "I can't". I asked what do you mean you can't. She said "it's locked". I knew right away that she had locked my bedroom door. A door that takes a key to unlock. A key that we never got from the previous owners! I knew Olivia was up in our bedroom locked in and we had no way to get her out.

Luckily the previous owners are our good friends and so we called them to see if they still had the keys to these various doors. They were pretty sure they did. Russ drove over to their house while I entertained Olivia by stuffing flat things under the door. She would pull the "thing" through and laugh. You wouldn't believe what you can stuff under a door and get to the other side. We continued this process until Russ was able to get home and try out the 20 some odd keys that our friends gave us to try.

Luckily we found a key that opened the door and Olivia was saved from being locked in our bedroom. We also were able to find keys to the other doors that have a key/lock. The keys will come in handy because there is a closet door that has a key/lock and it happens to be a closet that the girls love to get into but we really don't like them in there. We will be locking that door from now on. I am glad that we were able to get a key because otherwise we would have had to knock the door down or something...

That is my eventful story for the day

2 comments:

Holly Strong said...

hahaha I laugh for a few reasons..one being you were so KIND not to mention the previous owners...LOL and the other because when Davis called asking about hte keys, I thought it funny how after over a year, you didn't have them. I even told Davis that a few days ago I was "cleaning" and noticed a stack of random keys. I nearly threw them away. I was pretty sure they went to that house, but thought it odd I had them. At least Davis knew right where to find them. Sorry for the hassle!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get Olivia out!!!! :) That's a funny story! My boys are way into closing doors (especially Danny), so I'm glad that they haven't figured out how to lock doors yet, or I'd be in the same situation as you.